Friday, September 11, 2015

Turning Character Art into a Rig - Part 1


Happy day! This week, our team has created a draft version--when I say "draft", it's basically a concept still in the works--of our protagonist for our short film! I work in tandem with our main digital artist and help her understand exactly how to format the character's body and prepare it for rigging. This is her attempt in mapping it out and it look pretty elaborate as far as the layers go. However, this isn't exactly a bad thing either.

The more layers I have, the more I can work with. Meaning I can obtain more parts for the rig and make the character animation more complex. I've yet to touch anything within the .PSD of this file, though I do have a plan in mind.

My intention will be to save each of the rig part individually and rebuild our character in a separate program. Possibly in After Effects to save time and frustration. I will then do simple animation like walking, standing idly, and emotional reactions. In addition to body parts for the character, her face will have the most parts to animation in a single space. Her blinking, eyes moving, ears twitching, all of these details will be important in discovering more about our character's erm... character.

This endeavor may suffer some delays as things within my work, school, and personal life have been heating up. No need to fret, for it's nothing negative. It's simply obligations that take too much of my time and I tend to spoil myself rotten with procrastination in my free time. I hope things will clear up in a reasonable amount of time and I can get back on this right away!

No comments:

Post a Comment